Chainstitch Info / FAQ
how much do custom chain stitch pieces cost?
Small freehand script like your name on the front of a jacket in 1-2 words is $25 and can be done walk in on the spot- It's the best deal for a simple customization (unless you get a customizable patch from the site ) For larger artwork - it depends on a few factors !
- artwork! i.e. is the imagery you want on your garment something i already do? if so, great! that’s easy and it will be cheaper! is the imagery you want something i’ve never chainstitched before? that’s going to cost you extra (and might not be doable--you’ve been warned!)
For example "I want a tiger head" is going to be more expensive than "I drew this tiger head can you stitch it?" is going to be more expensive than "can I buy that tiger patch you made?"
- complexity! as the number of colors and level of detail increases - so does the amount of time a piece will take.
the amount of coverage! do you want 1 small thing on the front? small things all over? a giant back piece? the more i chainstitch, the higher the price. (in general, prices start at $100 and go up from there!)
what garments work best, can I bring my own garment?
The best garment for chainstitching is a good old denim jacket. You can bring your own - or we have a rotating selection of vintage pieces available in store for purchase (includes 1-2 small word customization!). I can also embroider on pretty much any sturdy woven (non-knit) fabric. I generally don't work on tees or sweatshirts because I can't guarantee the quality - if you want to take the risk though I will try it.
how long will it take to get a custom piece?
in general, turnaround time is 3-4 weeks from the time i receive the garment! on occasion we can accommodate a rush client, but there will be an additional charge!
can i wash my chainstitched garment?
Your finished chainstitch piece is generally more delicate than standard embroidered garments - take that into consideration. Personally I never wash my denim jackets but I understand you might not be totally comfortable with that. Dry cleaning is always a good option. For things like bandanas or garments you wash more often than jackets - wash cold and hang dry or dry flat.
how do i order a custom chainstitch piece?
For Small 1-2 word customizations:
Stop by our LA store any time during business hours! Check the Instagram story highlights for the current embroidery schedule.
For Bigger Pieces:
e-mail email@example.com with:
- a description of the piece you want and some screenshots from my instagram/portfolio site/ of the imagery you like (if applicable)
- a pic of the garment if you have it
- reference photos for the design as needed
- your budget.
i’d recommend describing your dream piece, and we can go from there to get it down to the price you want/my actual feasibility!